This can be simply a formality in the case of a company with a generous paid time off system. Some medical issues, like illness and injury, are acute. Some are recurrent and often unserious but at times troublesome. Yet remote workers who don’t deal with commutes and noisy office environments are more likely to work through illness. A car not starting may make missing work unavoidable, so you may have little choice but to call in at the last minute. However, this is something that may not be considered justified for more than one shift.
- If you’re in school, your education is likely your top long-term priority.
- We’ve talked about your physical health and your emotional health, but what about mental health?
- These excuses can be used whenever you have to make difficult calls to inform your boss that you will be out for the day.
- When you work remotely, issues like bad weather, your car not starting, or feeling ill won’t necessarily impede your efforts to work from a home office.
- These reasons should only be used when absolutely necessary and not regularly.
- She works as a Content Marketing Specialist at Vantage Lens.
She founded CareerSherpa.net to educate professionals on how to maneuver through today’s job search process. Hannah was nominated as a LinkedIn Top Voice in Job Search and Careers and is a regular contributor to US News & World Report. She has been quoted by media outlets, including Forbes, USA Today, Money Magazine, Huffington Post, as well as many other publications. She is also author of The Infographic Resume and co-author of Social Networking for Business Success. As you can see, there are plenty of legitimate reasons and excuses you can use for missing work. Job dissatisfaction is not a good excuse to skip out on work.
Other Job Prospects
Remember, you always want to save any verification you need in the event you need to justify any short or long-term absences due to legitimate excuses. Employers may be suspicious https://remotemode.net/blog/10-valid-reasons-to-call-out-of-work/ because unfortunately, some employees tend to abuse leave time. You may be requested to provide documentation in some situations to justify your reasons to miss work.
- However, if you habitually are late or absent because of transportation, your boss will likely start raising eyebrows and wonder if you’re being truthful.
- But more times than not, calling into work is due to a hangover, oversleeping, or just wanting to play hooky.
- Employers may be suspicious because unfortunately, some employees tend to abuse leave time.
- I’m not experiencing any symptoms now, but I will be in quarantine for [number of days] as recommended by public health authorities.
- If you think you can manage, you can also ask for a remote work day to complete urgent tasks at work.
- Or if strong winds and heavy storms whipped through your neighborhood, you might lose power or your internet connection and can’t work online.
Some might think physical pain or a family emergency is the only valid excuse to take a day off of work. But in reality, there are plenty of reasons that you might call out of work. From a bad cold to needing a mental health day, it’s OK to take the time you need to rest.
Personal Marketing Plan eBook
If your PTO policy allows, you might consider spreading out your PTO throughout the year so that you can take a half-day off every month or so. That’s separate from an unexpected mental health episode like a spike in depressive symptoms or a panic attack. These might be true medical conditions you should address immediately with a sick day.
Many bosses are parents and understand the urgency of needing to be there for a child. If you have to take time off from work to attend to your child’s illness many employers allow it. Other employers may designate sick or personal leave that can be used in certain types of illness situations for children. If you rely on your car to get to work, you can say that you’re having car trouble and are waiting for someone to come look at it. However, you may face follow-up questions like, “Can you take a bus?
Needing some time to work out childcare arrangements is a great excuse to call out of work (as long as it’s true, of course). But being sick is just one of many valid excuses for missing work. It’s important to understand when you need to take a step back. Whether you’re using your child to cover up a hangover or making up a mechanical problem to delay going to work, remember to use common sense along the way. Don’t let sick days and other excuses for not going to work become a habit. Contagious illnesses, such as covid, are almost always an excellent excuse to stay home from work.